November 28, 2021
THEME: COVENANT WITH THE LIVING GOD
SUB-THEME 7: The Lord God of all nations (8)
TOPIC: His Love for the World (2): Fulfilling the covenant of Redemption
TEXTS: Rom. 5: 6-11; 1 John 4: 9-11; Gal. 1: 3-4
i. to show the fulfilled covenant of redemption as God’s great love for the world;
ii. to see how individuals can experience this covenant of redemption, and
iii. how Christians can best demonstrate God’s love to a lost world
INTRODUCTION: Today is Advent Sunday. “Advent” means “coming or arrival of an important event or person”. For God’s Church, it is about: (i) the birth of Christ in His first coming; (ii) His Second Coming (Parousia); and (iii) the Season, including the Sundays before Christmas.
God’s unconditional love for the world made Him to promise right from the beginning of the fall of man (Gen. 3: 15) to redeem him through his salvation plan that He was to fulfill through His Son, Jesus Christ (John 3: 16). The redemption covenant provides forgiveness of sins, involving both an inward and personal relationship with God (Heb. 8: 10-12). The Bible also emphasizes the result of redemption: freedom from sin and freedom to serve God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Its basis is God’s deliberate, active, sacrificial giving of His Son for our redemption. How can we Christians demonstrate God’s love to the world?
1. What do you understand by the word “Advent”? And what is the importance of its observance to Christendom? Mt 24:30; Luke 21:27; Rev 1:7; 14:14
2. In practical terms, how does a sinner experience and subsequently demonstrate the love of God fulfilled in redemption through Christ? 2 Cor. 5: 17; John 3: 3-7; 1 John 4: 9-11
3. How do you understand the sentence “Old things are passed away, behold all things are new” Rom. 8:9-10
4. How will the world know God’s love for them and respond accordingly to the demand for redemption by the new covenant? Matt. 5: 13-16; 28: 18-20; Rom. 10: 14-15
CONCLUSION: As we look forward to the Second Coming of Christ in glory, let us always remember and preach to the world that God’s salvation is borne by His love for mankind and eternal purposes but not dependent upon human initiative or the world’s changing circumstances.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: Till His Second Coming; be challenged by the mandate to make God’s love known to the world.
MEMORY VERSE: 1John 4:10 “Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins”.
Next Sunday 15th January 2023 will be a Combined Service Starting by 8:00am.
Reception into Anglican Church
- The Lord God Almighty
- Jesus Christ
- The Bane of godly family—Disunity
- The Value of a Father's watch.
- Concept of a godly Family
- God’s foundation for a Family
- Concept of Family
- Vices of unfaithfulness to God’s covenant-
- Virtues of faithfulness to God’s covenant-
- Training of Children
- Marriage covenant