5th Sunday after Trinity
July 4, 2021
THEME: COVENANT WITH THE LIVING GOD.
SUB THEME: Family and covenant with the living God (8)
TOPIC: The Bane of godly family—Disunity
TEXT: Gen 37:1-11
i. to teach the dangers of disunity in a godly family,
ii. to highlight some factors that cause disunity in the family and
iii. to Identify biblical ways to prevent disunity.
There is great distress or frustration when disunity or lack of agreement among any people prevents them from working or living together effectively. Disunity is one of the major reasons for the setback of the human family. Going through the story of the children of Jacob, we observe that disunity eventually caused chaos, hatred, and bitter jealousy. God wants us to be united (1Cor. 1:10). What are the causes of disunity in a godly family?
1. What is disunity and mention some factors of disunity in a godly family. Gen 21:9-14; 37:3-4;
2. Mention some contemporary causes of disunity in the church of Christ. Jam 4:1;
3. Practically discuss how disunity is threatening the peace of many families (nuclear or extended) today and how this can be avoided? Genesis 13:7-12; Gal. 5:16; Ephesians 4:31-32; 1Tim 6:6.
4. What does God expect of all godly families? Gen 45:4-5; Leviticus 19:17-18; Romans 12:16.
CONCLUSION: Disunity is the bane of effective and successful social co-existence. When we have contentment, humility, forgiveness and we live by the Spirit, then we can produce both godly families and a peaceful world.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: A house divided against itself cannot stand.
MEMORY VERSE: Rom 12:16 “Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits”.
Next Sunday 15th January 2023 will be a Combined Service Starting by 8:00am.
- The Lord God Almighty
- Jesus Christ
- The Value of a Father's watch.
- Concept of a godly Family
- God’s foundation for a Family
- Concept of Family
- Vices of unfaithfulness to God’s covenant-
- Virtues of faithfulness to God’s covenant-
- Training of Children
- Marriage covenant
- Davidic Covenant