Sunday After Ascension
May 16, 2021
THEME: COVENANT WITH THE LIVING GOD
SUB THEME: Family and Covenant with the Living God
TOPIC: Concept of Family
TEXT: Gen. 4:1-2, 19-22
AIM: To understand and identify the family from both global and spiritual perspectives.
Family is a group that consists of Parents and their children or group of persons connected by blood or by affinity or through law within two or three generations; living together and having a shared commitment to a domestic relationship. Globally, what defines family is not solely blood relation. Family consists of the people, who support and love you, and the people you can confide and trust in, for example, Classmates, house parents, staff, political, legal, educational/academic and medical families.
1. How can you define a family in the context of the texts today? (Gen 4:1-2; 19-22).
2. How have the following families affected the society positively and/or negatively: Political family, Academic family, Medical family.
3. What can you say about the legal family in Nigeria? Discuss in the context of 1Kings 31:6-28.
4. Mention some of the spiritual family in your local Church and discuss their relevance with reference to 1Cor 12:12-13, 27-28.
CONCLUSION: The ultimate institution of human society is based upon a family. The family is the source from which human society originates. Therefore, it is important that in whatever family we find ourselves, that we be vessels unto God’s honor and not vessels unto demean, shame and give sorrow to society.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: You and I belong to a social family. Are we vessel unto honor or unto dishonor?
MEMORY VERSE: 1Cor 12:12-13 “For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit”.
Next Sunday 15th January 2023 will be a Combined Service Starting by 8:00am.
Reception into Anglican Church
- The Lord God Almighty
- Jesus Christ
- The Bane of godly family—Disunity
- The Value of a Father's watch.
- Concept of a godly Family
- God’s foundation for a Family
- Vices of unfaithfulness to God’s covenant-
- Virtues of faithfulness to God’s covenant-
- Training of Children
- Marriage covenant
- Davidic Covenant